Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Poems and Packages

Wednesday, September 10. I'm still reading and correcting poems, but here's one that makes the whole job worthwhile, written by a student whose English name is JANE (as in Austen!):

January is very cold here but [when] you stand in front of me, I feel very warm.
August is very warm, but you have left, [so] I feel very cold.
Now I still wait for you. I hope you [will] come back because I miss you
Every day.

How wonderful is that? The words in brackets are ones that I either added or corrected.

I actually talk to Jed on Skype this morning with my new headset and microphone. He has a camera built into his computer so I could see him but he couldn't see me because my camera is not installed yet! But so exciting and fun to see him in his apartment.

Another terribly hot day.

I have one class in the middle of the afternoon (3:25) which goes fairly well. I'm still spending too much time on administrative tasks with them: today, it's getting everyone's English name and gender on the class list that has their student # and Chinese names. (If I don't have all that information, there is no way I will be able to give each student a grade.) But I get through the Find Your Verb Game and the Verb Tense review (Simple Present and Present Continuous) and assign homework.

But today is officially Teachers' Day, and I get presents from two of my classes! One is a "Hello Kitty" mug/desk ornament, a small crystal paperweight and a little wooden pot of flowers to hold notes! I like this tradition. :)


David and Eleanor mailed packages to me more than two weeks ago, and I've been getting worried about them because I've received no notices. So early this evening, Bridget calls and says she has some good news for me. She has received two envelopes in the mail addressed to HER school, which is way on the other side of town. One envelope is addressed to me (sort of, meaning it kind of looks like my name) and it is empty. The other envelope is addressed to her and contains one notice for her and five for me! Welcome to China! It's a good thing that there are only a few foreigners in Zhuzhou and we all know each other! She and Vinny are leaving tomorrow to travel for the long weekend so they bring them to me this evening. I will go to the post office next to the train station tomorrow to pick them up.

If I don't keep my kitchen scrupulously clean, I have teensy-weensy ants crawling around the sink. I mentioned this one night at dinner, asking if anyone else had ants or bugs, and Ryan said "Absolutely. Every time I sit on the toilet, I play "Kill the Ants." :)

And speaking of Ryan and funny remarks, at the same dinner, he said "I was so excited today because I had a solid stool." OK, you think this is funny but I've decided that there's a third category of people who discuss bowel movements. Along with the parents who are potty training their kids and old people to whom all health matters make for fascinating conversation, there are also the people who are living in China! I think everyone has an experience with this at one time or another. It hit me in Changsha about midway through orientation and lasted about 10 days. For awhile, I actually thought I might have giardia since everything was going right through me (!), but I finally took a couple of Imodium and it's been OK since.

No comments: