It's so cool that I decide to do a real "spring cleaning" in my apartment. I collect all the dust with the dust mop, and then use the wet mop on all the floors (not that they look much different when I'm done, but I feel better!). Wash the shower curtain. Take out the trash. blah, blah, blah.
My internet connection is down this afternoon. I get all my grading done so I'll be ready to go next week. And work on lesson plan. I want to do something fun and creative.This evening, Tiffany, David and I, along with Mr. Z and another teacher (Tina), go to the Zhuzhou National Day Reception at the 5-star Huatian Hotel. Very fancy. Lots of Westerners coming out of the woodwork! People were asked to perform so David, Tiffany and I sang "Tuan jie jiu shi li liang" (Unity is Power) to pre-recorded music. The performances go on all during dinner. The Chinese aren't big on dinner conversation. Met some interesting people (Western and Chinese). Only two speeches: one by mayor of ZZ and the other by the General Secretary of the CCP in ZZ (who, of course, has more power than the mayor), given both in Chinese and English (by an interpreter). Lots of fun seeing other WT volunteers. Tables set with both chopsticks and silverware. I used chopsticks! For reasons that are unclear to me or anyone else, I am seated at the head table. Maybe it's because I'm old! Mr. Z takes me over to meet and make a toast to the General Secretary, Mr. Z translating. It was very sweet.
Surreal moment: As we are waiting for the car to take us home (one does not ride one's bike to a formal dinner!), we are standing in the lobby of this fancy Chinese hotel. Suddenly, I notice that the Chinese pianist is playing "Tammy," the theme song from the film "Tammy and the Bachelor" (1957), starring Debbie Reynolds, which I must have seen when I was 9 or 10 years old!
No comments:
Post a Comment