Later: I walk all the way up to classroom 6 only to find out there is no English Corner today! Apparently there's a big basketball game that all the students and teachers are going to watch. So I have a long conversation with Zhang Yong (about a variety of things: England program, English Corner, Nanning, US universities etc), and then head back to my apartment because I'm carrying my laptop. Then, instead of going to the basketball game (which I should do), I decide to go to the supermarket - I'm almost out of food!
Here's a very exciting development, a breakthrough even: I can now tell the taxi driver where I want to go instead of pulling out my little notebook to show him where it is written down in Chinese. He can actually understand what I'm saying! :)
My package from home arrives today! My children have sent me a video camera for Christmas! How cool is that?! And they filmed part of the Christmas Party so it is memorialized on tape (or disk, or whatever these things use now!). My new project will be learning how to use it. Looks fairly straightforward. Boy, when I think about the difference between this and the clunkers we used when the kids were small - it's amazing. I can hold this in one hand.
Box also contains other things I've been needing: Sudafed, Afrin, meds, face lotion - and cinnamon. Now I can use cinnamon with abandon when I make cooked apples! I had almost used up the other one.
This evening, D&T and I spend some time thinking about more books for our "English Library" project. I have a big box of books (donated by friends in the US) , and they are going to do the same thing with their friends. So we hope to end up with more than 100 books (I already have 43). It's a lot of fun but we aren't really sure how the logistics will work as the school library is "under construction" at the moment? Not sure what that means. We'll just keep plugging ahead and see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment