Wednesday, October 22. I spend a fair amount of time today being wishy-washy about whether to go to Guilin with Tiffany and David. The problem is that we would be getting home Sunday on a train in the middle of the night, and then I have to teach Monday morning. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that I'm not 25 anymore! I'm afraid that I would be exhausted on Monday, and I have two classes in the morning and Teacher Training in the afternoon. So I think I will stay home and maybe have a little field trip to Changsha.
Tonight, the Senior English teachers (mostly Senior 1 and Senior 3) invite me to dinner with them. We go back to the little dumpling restaurant, which (I have decided) is my favorite restaurant in China so far. If I go there too often, I will turn into a dumpling! Anyway, we have a great time. I love these people. I could not have asked for better colleagues. They are terrific.
Afterwards, we wander in and out of a few shops, and I see a plant (actually a small tree), about 2-3 feet tall, that is quite lovely. I ask how much, and it is only 20 yuan so I get it. Then the shopkeeper tells Debbie (one of the teachers who is with me), in Chinese, that it is called a "Happiness Tree." How perfect is that?! If Debbie hadn't been with me, I would never have known. So the shopkeeper puts it in a big plastic bag and then ties a ribbon through the handles of the bag so I have a longer handle to carry it with. We walk home in the cool evening air.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment