Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuesdays with Tyler

Tuesday, October 21. Believe it or not, it is HOT again! It has been 30 degrees celcius (about 86 F) or higher the last few days! and humid too. I've been running my a/c during the day, although it's cool enough at night to turn it off.

Today, I went to China Mobile to add money onto my phone. I started with 100 yuan which lasted about 2 months so that's not too bad. I gave them another 100 yuan today. Also went to Bank of China to have my passbook updated. And then to supermarket.

Tiffany, David and I go to the school cafeteria tonight for dinner and meet up with Tyler. Tonight, Mr. Zhang joins us because his family is out of town. After dinner, Tyler tutors Tiff and David from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., then comes next door to tutor me for an hour. It's wonderful to have my very own Chinese-speaking person - I can have him help me with the map of Zhuzhou, read the messages in Chinese on my cell phone and do other little things that I can't do because I can't read! He's very exacting about my Chinese pronunciation - he wants me to get the tones just right, whereas I just want to be understood! I can say all of the tones easily in isolation - it's stringing them together in a sentence that's the problem! Tyler is very patient and encouraging (and I am a bad student because I don't practice enough!). He is about 24, has been teaching for 2 years and is a great guy. I hope he finds a nice girlfriend!

No comments: