Monday, October 13. My most difficult class of the whole week is my first class on Monday morning! Although three or four students are very engaged, most of the others talk constantly. Today I just stopped class and stood there looking at them until they quieted down. Then I said, softly, "I cannot teach this class." And continued to stand there looking at them. That seemed to help a little - and I was able to continue - at least until next week! Fortunately, that class is followed by one of the higher-ability classes so that helps.
Had lunch with Liam and Sunshine, two of my better students from Class o1, which I have on Thursdays. Later: washed sheets; wrestled duvet/quilt into duvet cover!
Afternoon: Teacher Training for Junior School English teachers. Today we read and discuss a NY Times editorial about the first debate. It's amazing how many interesting words, idioms and other turns of phrase can be found in one short article. Here's just a sample from this one: sophomoric, crotchety, avuncular, bipartisan, railing, talking points, overhaul, earmarks, to foot the bill. And check these sports analogies: fumbled, counterpunch, parried, dodged the question, tactical sparring. It's fascinating to look at your own language from the viewpoint of a non-native speaker. I really enjoy this class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment