Monday, November 10, 2008

I"m WAY too much in demand!

Monday, November 10. Two classes this morning. This week I'm doing Proverbs (wise sayings, not the book from the Bible). Our "warm-up" conversation today is about the beautiful weather, their exams, and Obama!

After lunch, take a nap. Get up and prepare for Teacher Training. Last week, we read an article about the "history of 'cool'" so this week, we read some Beat Poetry and listen to Bebop Jazz (Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker). Also, they have read an article about Shanghai high-rises and the problem of ground subsidence so we discuss their questions. Then we talk about the election and Obama.

Later, I get a phone call from Rachel, asking if I want to go out for dumplings. Duh! of course. :) So it's Rachel, May, Cynthia and me but later Rachel and Cynthia's husbands come too. They are both math teachers at the school. We have a great conversation: I teach them new words in English, and they try to teach me some Chinese!

Rachel has asked me if I will teach two of her classes about the US election - she's trying to get them fired up about English and thinks that I will be able to do this. Personally, I think her expectations are unrealistic, but what-the-hey, I'm more than willing to do it. So I am going to do it tomorrow morning.

Later, Mr. Zhang calls to say that the Zhuzhou City Department of Foreign Affairs wants to have a "free talk" with me and could I do it tomorrow. So there goes my "free" day! We will do that at 3 p.m.

I'm going to bed early.

No comments: