Friday, November 14, 2008

You're The Witness! Describe the Suspect.

Thursday, November 13. I'm still feeling punk, I'm achy, my joints hurt, my throat is sore - wah, wah, wah. It's hard walking up and down all of the stairs. But I teach my class in the morning, come back, work on stuff for English Corner, then teach afternoon class. I'm also running around to the copy center and then drawing pictures for English Corner this afternoon. At least the weather is beautiful which is good for the soul.

I've decided to present the Physical Appearance descriptive words this way: I will tell the students they are visiting NYC, they are the only witnesses to a crime, and they have to describe the suspect to the police! (Obviously, this wouldn't work in China because everyone has black hair!) So in addition to the hand-out with the list of words (face shape, eye color, hair color, skin tone, hair style, body build, facial hair etc etc etc). I have drawn a bunch of funny pictures so after we go over all the words, I show them each picture for a few seconds and then pretend to be the policeman asking them questions.

The Thursday English Corner is outside, for the moment at least in the courtyard of the Senior School. The weather has been beautiful the whole week - in the high 60s/low 70s. I have brought a wrap to put on in case I get chilled but never need it. We have a good conversation about Barack Obama, and the students love pretending to be the crime witnesses!

In the evening, Tiffany brings over some warm rice pudding that she has just made. It is fabulous comfort food - just what I needed in my current state!

No comments: