Monday, March 9. Today, I'm finishing Part 1 of the lesson on Synonyms with my classes. But, as usual, I start off by trying to have a conversation with the students (this is Oral English, after all!). Generally, I ask some topical question or, if none, I ask them "How was your weekend?" I'm trying to get away from the standard answers of "good" "fine" "boring" "bad" and so on. One girl tells me that she spent the day with her mother, which gives me a great opening to ask "What was yesterday?" Eventually, I get the answer, even if it's in Chinese "san ba" or Women's Day (see prior blog entry). Then one of the best students in the class (actually, he's a new student this term, English name Carter) asks: Why don't we have a Men's Day? Well, as you can imagine, this question gets this aging feminist's blood boiling (Ok, only slightly!), and we swerve off into a discussion of women's rights: How do we elect our President in the U.S.? A: we vote. What year was the U.S. founded? A: 1776. Could women vote in 1776? They aren't sure about that one. Then I write the year "1919" on the board, and tell them that from 1776 until 1919, women in the U.S. couldn't vote. Then we have a little talk about women's rights in China before 1949. Then more questions: How many women have been president in the U.S.? A: none. How many women have ruled China? A: none in the modern era (there actually was one empress in the Tang Dynasty). So poor Carter got more than he bargained for when he opened that Pandora's Box. But it was fun - and they won't ever forget why we have Women's Day: because every day is Men's Day! So there.
Tuesday, March 10. English Corner. I take my computer over to the classroom but stupidly leave the DVD in my apartment so have to run back to get it! Fortunately, I manage to get back only a few minutes late, and Zhang Yong has set up my computer and taken attendance so we are ready to go. I start asking the kids questions about where we left off last time as I'm putting the DVD into the computer, still panting from my power walk back to the classroom!
We almost finish the Sound of Music but not quite. I am trying to give the kids a sense of the historical context which includes telling them a tiny bit of European history. I try to give them a point of reference by comparing Japan's invasion of China with Germany's "invasion" of Europe (which were both going on at about the same time).
At the break, Anna tells me that they have their monthly exams this week, on Thursday and Friday, so apparently I will not be teaching those days. (I confirm this later with Zhang Yong. I wonder when he was planning to tell me?)
Wednesday, March 11. Since I'm not teaching my Thursday and Friday classes this week, I decide just to do songs with my Wednesday and Monday classes so my lesson plans won't get "out of whack." Last semester, I had an awful time trying to keep track of which class had missed which lesson and trying to make sure I covered everything with everyone. This semester, I'm being much smarter about it. Experience really does help. So this morning, I'm pulling together a lesson plan and power point for two songs: When I'm Sixty-Four (which will include a little cultural education about the Beatles!) and If I Had A Million Dollars (Barenaked Ladies). Both songs have some useful (as well as some non-essential but fun) vocabulary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment