Wednesday, November 5. Spend most of the morning nervously watching election results on CNN. Later, I decide to take a shower. Afterwards, I'm mopping up the bathroom floor, and my U.S. cell phone rings. It's Eleanor calling to tell me that Obama has won! She is so excited. The first presidential election that she can vote in - and what an election. An historic occasion. I am so relieved at the outcome.
My afternoon class: Although the teachers have heard about the outcome of the election, the students have not, so I have another "U.S. Presidential election" lesson in my class with yet another mock election. Once again, the students elect Obama by a landslide, and this time I am able to tell them that they elected the same President that the American voters did!
I also teach them White Coral Bells - and actually have enough time not only to teach it to them but also to have them try to sing it as a round. They do an amazing job. The first time, I am running back and forth between the two groups, prompting them (and the teachers who are observing my class are laughing!) but they do such a good job that I have them do it again by themselves. It is fabulous! They are so proud of themselves.
Later, reading news reports about the reaction in the rest of the world to the Obama election, I am so proud of my country. It feels very good - haven't been able to feel like that for a long time. And very happy that Virginia voted Democratic this time. The results in Albemarle County (Charlottesville) are especially gratifying - something like 60% for Obama!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Janet! I am so happy to see that my previous comment reached you. I was able to read further back into your diary and felt so sorry about the little orange purse and the surrounding experience. I have a bunch of stories to share about my goats.. I finally have Esther dehorned and bred and Chloe is recovering after a near fatal menengial worm infection. I am thinking of you so much as Thanksgiving nears. love, Jan
Post a Comment