Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Can't Believe It's November!

Saturday, November 1. Wang Dian comes to set up wireless router. I'm back online! Later, Debbie goes with me to China Post to ask them to look for other packages addressed to me - no luck. Dinner with Junior 2 teachers at new restaurant a short walk from the school. A very rainy day.

Sunday, November 2. More rain. It's very gloomy. Tiffany, David and I go to the "wholesale" market that JuJu has told us about, and it is amazing. It's in "downtown" ZZ, in a building that is 7 stories high! We spend about three hours there and don't even get through the whole thing! Tiff and David get a number of useful items, including a space heater for their apartment (I'm going to try to tough it out for awhile and see how bad it gets). I get two more hand towels (15 yuan, about $2) because I like to wash them often and now that it is colder (and damp), it's taking forever for clothes/towels to dry. Also found a large cotton throw rug for my study which I have been wanting (160 yuan, or about $24) - it's quite colorful - yellow and orange and blue and green! Very cheerful. Also found a Chinese decoration for my front door. Every week, my apartment gets a little cozier!

This evening, we are invited to dinner at Mrs. Tong's apartment. She is the head of all of the Senior English teachers. One of the other teachers, Cindy, is also invited so she walks with us to show us the way. Cindy and Mrs. Tong both have 6-year-old daughters. Tiffany is in heaven because Mrs. Tong shows us how to make dumplings and wonton. Another wonderful dinner and lots of good conversation! A lovely evening, which ends because Mrs. Tong has to go back to school for evening classes for her Senior 3 students. There is no rest at this place for either teachers or students.

No comments: