Friday, April 3, 2009

Tomb-Sweeping Festival

Friday, April 3. No classes today because it's a holiday weekend. I strip my bed and wash the sheets, make cooked apples, clean my kitchen sink and microwave, wash dishes, organize class lists for the new semester, do other little odds and ends around my apartment. I have a lot of little projects for the weekend. Try to get some ideas for lesson plan for next week. Read the NY Times!

David and Tiffany are off to Loudi with one of our Chinese friends, June (from Zhuzhou Teachers College), for Tomb Sweeping Festival. I've opted not to go. Not really sure why. Just listening to my gut! I can always go next year.

Tomb Sweeping Festival in China is a big deal. It's when everyone, especially people in the countryside, go to the graves of their ancestors, clean off the tombs, have a big picnic, burn "fake" money (for their ancestors to use in heaven), and set off fireworks (naturally, this being China). I will be eager to hear D&T's story when they return.

No comments: