Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 11: Huangshan (the mountain)

Saturday, January 30. Breakfast at the hotel. Say good-bye to Nancy and Michael Gardner. In the car a little after 9 for drive to Huangshan Scenic Area. It is a very drizzly, foggy day. I leave my luggage at the hotel, taking only a change of underwear in a little backpack.

Cable car up the mountain. Then walk (up and down steps!) to hotel where we can drop off some of our stuff, have a quick lunch (68 yuan for some eggplant!) and then out to explore the mountain. Unfortunately, it's extremely foggy so really can't see much but it's an interesting walk/hike - 7.5 kilometers up and down and up and down!

It's not only foggy but rainy and drizzly so we put plastic raincoats on over the rest of our clothes, including our coats. However, by the time we get back to the hotel, i'm soaked all the way through to my skin - I think because I was using the hood to my regular coat to cover my head, so the water went down the coat and through my sweater and shirt. brrr. so I buy a Nutri-express and green tea (each 10 yuan here at the top of the mountain!), go to my room and sit in a hot tub for almost an hour! then have nutri-express and oranges for dinner. i'm too tired to eat anymore.

Watch CCTV 9 about the proposed US arms sale to Taiwan. What's up with that? is Obama crazy or what?

No comments: