Monday, January 25. Up at 6 so can have a quick breakfast at 7 and meet Oliver at 7:20. Drive to airport - once we are out of the city proper, we hit a bank of fog, which turns out to engulf the airport. So I spend a few hours sitting in the airport waiting for my delayed flight to take off. Annoying because I'm missing time on Gulang Yu! Anyway, I keep myself busy by beginning Careless in Red by Elizabeth George. That should certainly keep my attention.
Flight finally takes off at about 11:45, almost 3 hours late, but at least we're going. i'm happy about that. Arrive at Xiamen airport at about 2 p.m. Met by "Jennifer" and Mr. Xu for drive into city. He drops us off at the ferry to Gulang Yu. The ferry takes about 6 minutes to cross to the island - no cars are allowed.
Facts: Xiamen 2.5 million people. Gulang Yu about 16 thousand. Before 2006, no motorized vehicles at all. now there are electric carts for tourists. Only the postmen and children can have bicycles! And workmen have wagon-like things that they pull by hand.
Gulang Yu is also known as Piano Island. There is a piano museum (collection donated by a son of the island). The first Western building (the British consulate) was built in 1844. At one time, Gulang Yu had consolates from 13 countries on the island. Gu means drum; Lang means wave. The river between Xiamen and Gulang Yu is the Lu Jiang. Lu is "egret" the city bird.
We wait for about 20 minutes for the electric cart from our hotel to arrive to carry the luggage; the cart takes us all around the island on a road paved with paving stones - no asphalt. it's a one-way street for the carts as the little "roads" are primarily for pedestrians. This is a beautiful place - rocks and the water everywhere. Lots of outdoor sculptures. I would like to take photos but we are zipping along. Finally check into hotel at about 3: 15 p.m. It's a fabulous hotel. The Marine Garden Hotel. I have a little balcony from my window.
After I wash my hands and face, Jennifer and I go out to tour the island. I really love this place, but is it because there is a lot of Western-influenced architecture?! It is great being in a pedestrian only area. We check out the Catholic Church (built by the French apparently) and some of the former consulate buildings. Then we go to see a puppet show. Then walk through ________ Gardens and see the piano museum.
And on to dinner in a local fish restaurant. I have practically had to beg Jennifer to take me to a local place! We have shrimp (peel them yourself, of course), greens, fish head soup, the rest of the fish, and a wonderful oyster, scallion and egg "pie." The last is my absolute favorite. Then walk back to the hotel. I'm ready to turn in as have to be up early again in the morning for tour of Hakka country!
Flight finally takes off at about 11:45, almost 3 hours late, but at least we're going. i'm happy about that. Arrive at Xiamen airport at about 2 p.m. Met by "Jennifer" and Mr. Xu for drive into city. He drops us off at the ferry to Gulang Yu. The ferry takes about 6 minutes to cross to the island - no cars are allowed.
Facts: Xiamen 2.5 million people. Gulang Yu about 16 thousand. Before 2006, no motorized vehicles at all. now there are electric carts for tourists. Only the postmen and children can have bicycles! And workmen have wagon-like things that they pull by hand.
Gulang Yu is also known as Piano Island. There is a piano museum (collection donated by a son of the island). The first Western building (the British consulate) was built in 1844. At one time, Gulang Yu had consolates from 13 countries on the island. Gu means drum; Lang means wave. The river between Xiamen and Gulang Yu is the Lu Jiang. Lu is "egret" the city bird.
We wait for about 20 minutes for the electric cart from our hotel to arrive to carry the luggage; the cart takes us all around the island on a road paved with paving stones - no asphalt. it's a one-way street for the carts as the little "roads" are primarily for pedestrians. This is a beautiful place - rocks and the water everywhere. Lots of outdoor sculptures. I would like to take photos but we are zipping along. Finally check into hotel at about 3: 15 p.m. It's a fabulous hotel. The Marine Garden Hotel. I have a little balcony from my window.
After I wash my hands and face, Jennifer and I go out to tour the island. I really love this place, but is it because there is a lot of Western-influenced architecture?! It is great being in a pedestrian only area. We check out the Catholic Church (built by the French apparently) and some of the former consulate buildings. Then we go to see a puppet show. Then walk through ________ Gardens and see the piano museum.
And on to dinner in a local fish restaurant. I have practically had to beg Jennifer to take me to a local place! We have shrimp (peel them yourself, of course), greens, fish head soup, the rest of the fish, and a wonderful oyster, scallion and egg "pie." The last is my absolute favorite. Then walk back to the hotel. I'm ready to turn in as have to be up early again in the morning for tour of Hakka country!
No comments:
Post a Comment